- About the Authors
Note: Parts of the Latin for Children Primer C Program revised 4.0 text (2020) are available now! Please see compatibility notes at the bottom of this page.
NOTE: The Latin for Children C DVD & CD Set is anticipated to be available to be shipped in late February. Please consider purchasing the Streaming audio & video option instead. Streaming is available immediately and at a lower cost.
Did you buy Latin for Children Primer C materials in 2020, but would like the new version? If so, click here for trade-in instructions!
A yearlong course for students in grades 6-7
Full program includes:
- Latin for Children Primer C (consumable student edition and workbook) Students will learn more than 250 new vocabulary words and study more advanced grammar concepts, including the fourth and fifth noun declensions and additional verb tenses, adjectives, and adverbs. Lessons include a plethora of mnemonic aids (songs, chants) that enable students to learn vocabulary and grammar with ease and delight. Exercises, quizzes, a thrilling adventure story, and a useful reference section are also included. The primer provides clear explanations of grammar in every chapter, written at the student’s level. Latin for Children Primer C, now printed in full color, has been enhanced with beautiful illustrations as well as images and paintings from the Golden Age of Pirates. An exciting adventure story has also been added. Students will follow Marcus and Julia as they try to rescue their beloved island hometown after it is invaded by a dangerous group of pirates. The chapter-by-chapter Latin grammar sequence remains the same as previous versions. Students will love studying Latin even more as they use this newly revised and improved edition.
- Latin for Children Primer C Answer Key This teacher’s tool features actual, full-size pages from the primer, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. This key corresponds with the newly revised edition of the primer and also includes a suggested weekly schedule. Old editions of the primer and answer key are not compatible with this newly revised edition (though the grammar is taught in the same sequence).
- Latin for Children Primer C Streaming Video & Audio (or 3-DVD & 2-CD Set) The Primer C Video, now in high-definition, offers valuable teaching and guidance by author Dr. Christopher Perrin. Each lesson (approximately 20–25 minutes) corresponds to the weekly chapter in Latin for Children Primer C and features the chanting and singing of vocabulary (in both the classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations), including noun declensions and verb conjugations, and clear grammatical explanations. The video can be used to prep the teacher for the lesson, to help a student catch up on a missed lesson, to help a student maintain or catch up over the summer, or as a substitute when the teacher is absent. The audio files feature Latin students pronouncing and rhythmically repeating each vocabulary word and grammar chart in the primer—first the Latin, then the English equivalent. These chants are an incredible tool to use for fun memorization and contain all 250+ vocabulary words in both the classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations. Take them wherever you go! The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. Streaming access lasts for the life of the product. Old editions of DVD/CD Set are not compatible with this newly revised edition (though the grammar is taught in the same sequence).
- Latin for Children Primer C Activity Book! (consumable) Following the chapters of Primer C, in Latin for Children Primer C Activity Book! students will encounter a Latin meteor strike and a shattering earthquake, have a backyard BBQ, enter into a water fight, play the tuba, investigate a crime scene, execute Hollywood special effects, charm snakes, help find stolen museum artwork, and more—all while studying Latin!Includes the reproducible group game Fossa Vasta™ (“The Big Dig”) in which students hunt for buried treasure. Answers are included in the back of the book. A revised edition of the activity book is scheduled for 2021.
- Latin for Children Primer C History Reader (consumable) Young Latin scholars can translate and read, in Latin that is at their level, a selection of 32 stories about the New World explorers and early American history. The Latin stories in this volume are in parallel with the Veritas History Curriculum (card series) and integrated with the grammar and vocabulary of Latin for Children Primer C. The history reader stories have been revised, but the revisions do not affect the reader's compatibility with the student edition.
See our Support tab above for schedule recommendations and product resources.
Note: Old editions of the primer, answer key, or teaching video (both DVD and streaming) are not compatible with this newly revised edition (though the grammar is taught in the same sequence). You may be eligible to trade in these 3 items for the revised versions; please click here for more information. The activity book and history reader are still compatible with either version of the student text.
- Only Passionate Curiosity (2017 full-color edition)
- Cathy Duffy Reviews (2017 full-color edition
- HomeSchool Reviews
- Unexpected Homeschool
- Learning Tangent Homeschool Magazine
- The Curriculum Choice
- Exodus Books
- Joy in the Ordinary
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
“I have been teaching with the new [full-color] Primer A this year, and I love it! The students seem to enjoy the color and graphics. It really is beautiful! I also really like the ‘Appian Way’ story, and my students enjoy reading it together. It is a great way to reinforce vocabulary. I will be using it exclusively in my classes going forward.” —Kelly, Wilson Hill Academy Latin teacher
“We are so grateful for Classical Academic Press’s at-your-own-pace Latin curriculum. We find your Latin program perfect for all of our children, especially for our middle son with special needs. Having not learned Latin in school, I needed a program that taught Latin comprehensively with excellence. Check. Having a son with special needs, I needed a program that allowed our family to individualize the pace of lessons to match his neurodevelopment abilities. Check. With my son’s particular learning style, auditory aids such as songs and chants greatly help. Check. Lately, we enjoy that the curriculum adds humor. In our home, Latin is a beloved subject. Thank you, Classical Academic Press!” —Krissy F., homeschool mom
“I am using your Latin for Children Primer A and having a blast! We’re at chapter 15 and ready to start translating . . . Amazing! Great stuff. Thanks so much for the countless hours you spent creating these curricula. I do believe my kids are going to be lifelong language learners because of them!” —Kim, homeschool mom
“Your delivery of Latin for Children is both engaging and thorough. Your chants and songs are pleasant and upbeat and will appeal to a wide age range of students! We are looking forward to learning Latin with all of you!” —Britta, Morning Star Learning
I’m using your Latin for Children with my 9-year-old son. Let me just say how wonderful your program is, [and] I have looked at many. Your presentation makes it understandable. I have found nothing I think compares to it. He totally gets it.” —Wendy, homeschool mom
“We are entirely smitten with LFC, this being our second year. I am so pleased with the progress my eldest is making in Primer B, and equally delighted to hear everyone else down to the two-year-old chanting right along.” —Kendra, Preschoolers and Peace
“Teaching Latin to and learning Latin with your elementary students could not be easier. I wonder, why don’t they teach all languages this way?” —Dawn, The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
“So many of the popular Latin programs are great if you already know Latin and can instruct the students in the grammar, but if you are attempting to learn the Latin along with your student using an elementary curriculum, then Latin for Children is definitely the one you should choose. It goes much deeper and more thoroughly into the grammar than any of the other elementary programs do. There is so much to like about this series.” —Beth, Beth’s Bookshop
“My 8-year-old daughter and I LOVE this Latin course. She is becoming a polyglot like me and we are having a wonderful bonding time together. This course is worth ten times what I’m paying for it. . . . She has begged me for the Greek and I told her we have to finish the Latin first.” —Sean, homeschool dad
“We love this program! Our kids find Dr. Perrin very engaging, and we all look forward to our Latin time each day. With the DVD, lessons, and fun activities, our learning seems almost effortless. My kids’ English vocabulary is also increasing as we progress through the program. Thanks so much!” —the Gant family
“My daughter loves the chants and songs. Moreover, the lessons on the DVD also capture her attention and reinforce my presentation of the material from the workbook. Since we have started your series, I have raved about it to fellow homeschoolers.” —Kevin, homeschool dad
“My son is starting a new school next fall, which is a year ahead of his old school in Latin. So, we are doing a whole year of Latin for Children this summer to keep him on track. The DVDs make it easy to teach, and our whole family is learning the chants on the CD. Even my 4-year-old is singing ‘Amo, Amas, Amat.’” —Ellen, homeschool mom
“I love Latin for Children & Latin Alive! I teach Latin in our co-op (middle and high school), and this is honestly the first curriculum I haven’t had to rewrite (or at least seriously tweak) in order to teach it. It’s all there, well written and fun to use. The kids love it, I love it, and I’ve seen the kids grow in understanding and application of the language.” —Jennifer, Latin teacher
“Latin for Children and Latin Alive! are challenging and thorough enough for the students, yet simple enough for a homeschool mom without a Latin background to implement. I’m seriously thinking about going back to school for a second degree (in classics) when my homeschooling days are over.” —Loretta, homeschool mom
“We are using Latin for Children with my older girls, and I love how my little one walks around singing the chants as well. ? We are really enjoying it and LOVE the video!” —Genny, homeschool mom
“After using another program for my 3 oldest, we found Latin for Children. Being a mother of a large family (teaching 9 right now), I needed something that would walk me through it and become independent learning for the kids. After doing all three, we made the transition to Latin Alive, and I am rarely needed to help. The translation is great.” —Patty, homeschool mom
“I started teaching Latin to my 11- and 8-year-old daughters last fall using an established curriculum. It is a well-structured and robust program but my children grew to despise Latin every day. It was dry and laborious. I knew Latin would require discipline to learn but it was unpleasant to say the least. We took a break for a few weeks as I started researching other options. I came across your program through my research and decided to check you out at a recent homeschool convention. I decided to take the plunge and purchase your LFC Primer A Program. We are only on our second day and it is a completely different experience! The kiddos even asked to do it first today! They are humming their chants throughout the day. Truly amazing! Thank you for taking such an important and difficult subject and making it enjoyable for children. I can’t wait to continue through the program with them and watch their knowledge and love for Latin grow! My deepest gratitude!” —Rachel, homeschool mom
“Last year I taught two classes of Latin Alive (Latin Alive 1 and 2). Most of my Latin Alive 1 students had completed at least one or two years of Latin for Children. I was so impressed with the Latin knowledge they came into my class with! We were able to move much more quickly. This year, when I began looking for new curriculum for my 5th and 6th grade Latin students, I immediately started looking into using Latin for Children. I would love to give my students the core Latin knowledge that I saw in my past students!” —Marley, middle school Latin teacher
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
How to Teach Latin (PDF) 16 pages on teaching Latin for Children for school teachers
Suggested Weekly Schedule (PDF) Suggestions for a weekly schedule using the full program
Basic Latin Charts! (PDF) Colorful charts display the five noun declensions and the verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters. A helpful resource for any Latin student!
Interactive Latin Charts! (PDF) These black and white Latin charts are easy to print, color, and cut out. Once cut, the charts provide an excellent hands-on approach to practicing all five noun declensions and verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters.
Latin for Children Flash Cards (PDF) These flash cards are keyed to the vocabulary in their corresponding book. Decks are split into two different decks (for example: a Latin deck and the English deck) so that you can print them separately or on the backs of each other (single sided or double sided). Latin Flash Cards – English Flash Cards
Latin for Children Primer C Errata (PDF) for version 3.6
Latin for Children Primer C Answer Key corrected pages 146–147 (PDF) for version 3.6, printer code PGP.02.19
Latin for Children Primer C Activity Book Errata (PDF) for versions 2.3 and prior versions
Dr. Christopher Perrin, MDiv, PhD
Dr. Christopher Perrin is an author, consultant, and speaker who specializes in classical education. He is committed to the renewal of the liberal arts tradition. He cofounded and serves full-time as the CEO/publisher at Classical Academic Press, a classical education curriculum, media, and consulting company. Christopher is also a consultant to charter, public, private, and Christian schools across the country. He is the director at the Alcuin Fellowship with the Institute for Classical Schools and the former board vice president of the Society for Classical Learning. He has published numerous articles and lectures that are widely used throughout the United States and the English-speaking world.
Christopher received his BA in history from the University of South Carolina and his MDiv and PhD in apologetics from Westminster Theological Seminary. He was also a special student in literature at St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland. He has taught at Messiah College and Chesapeake Theological Seminary, and served as the founding headmaster of a classical school in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, for ten years. He is the author of The Greek Alphabet Code Cracker and Greek for Children and the coauthor of the Latin for Children series, all published by Classical Academic Press.
Aaron Larsen, DA
Dr. Aaron Larsen currently teaches history, Latin, logic, and rhetoric at Regents School of Charlottesville in Virginia. He previously taught at two classical schools in Pennsylvania. In 2001, Dr. Larsen joined a team led by Dr. Christopher Perrin and two other colleagues to help form Classical Academic Press. The motivation behind this endeavor was to produce exceptional Latin and logic curricula for the classical education movement. The first results of this collaboration included the publication of their logic text, The Art of Argument, and the three-volume Latin for Children series. Aaron is also a coauthor of The Discovery of Deduction: An Introduction to Formal Logic.
Aaron received his BA in history, with minors in philosophy and education, from Covenant College in Georgia. He completed his coursework for his DA in modern world history from St. John’s University in New York and went on to write his doctoral thesis on the Meiji Restoration, which, as he likes to say, is “the most important event in world history that nobody’s ever heard of.”
Grade Level: Grades 6-7
Course Length: Yearlong
- Latin for Children Primer C (Student Edition)
- Latin for Children Primer C Answer Key
- Latin for Children Primer C History Reader
- Latin for Children Primer C Activity Book
- Latin for Children Primer C Video & Audio (streaming or DVD/CD Set)
Online courses offered for this product on Scholé Academy!
Digital content for this product available on My Library!
- Latin for Children Primer C
- Latin for Children Primer C Answer Key
- Latin for Children Primer C Activity Book!
- Latin for Children Primer C History Reader
- Latin for Children Primer C DVD & Chant CD Set
- Latin for Children Primer C Chant CD — Classical Pronunciation
- Latin for Children Primer C Chant CD — Ecclesiastical Pronunciation