- About the Author
Note: The DVD & CD set for this item is on backorder until Summer 2020. Please consider purchasing the streaming video & audio content for this product instead! Streaming is available immediately and at a lower cost. If you order the program with the DVD & CD set, we will still proceed with shipping the rest of your order to you and will ship the DVD & CD set separately once the item is back in stock this summer.
A one-semester or yearlong course for students in grades 7-12
“I dwell in Possibility— A fairer House than Prose—” While we think of poetry as the best words in the best order, we sometimes forget how important its poetic or metaphoric thinking is to various subjects such as writing, speaking, business, and science.
The Art of Poetry is an excellent middle or high school curriculum that teaches the practice of reading a poem closely and absorbing its beauty.
Full program includes:
- The Art of Poetry (consumable student edition) This book contains 16 chapters and over 100 poems. The first 8 chapters cover the elements of poetry (such as images, metaphor, rhythm, and tone); the final chapters cover the forms of poetry (such as ode, villanelle, and open verse). Each chapter includes an extensive explication of one poem, along with exercises and discussion questions on additional poems. Biographies of 51 poets, a glossary of terms, an index of all the poems and authors, and an application section with ideas on how to continue a study of poetry are all included in this thoughtful course.
- The Art of Poetry Teacher’s Edition This edition is a valuable resource for teachers that includes the entire The Art of Poetry student edition content and an answer key, as well as detailed and fascinating explications of 39 poems. The introduction for the teacher offers teaching tips and suggestions. Thorough appendices include a poetry timeline, quizzes for each chapter, and a cumulative book quiz.
- The Art of Poetry Streaming Video (or 7-DVD Set) The Art of Poetry video features more than 15 hours of the author teaching four thoughtful 8th grade students through the entire The Art of Poetry text. Many of the discussions, which proceed chapter by chapter, capture the “magic” of a Socratic teacher encountering strong students and timeless works of literature. Whether your student is interested in writing, wants to understand the way poems are made, or simply wants to become more attuned to language and metaphor, this is an ideal resource—a course in a box for middle or high school students. The author demonstrates in real-time the end-of-chapter activities, which are intended to teach students the practice of poem writing. The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. Streaming access lasts for the life of the product.
See our Support tab above for schedule recommendations and complimentary audio files featuring the author, Christine Perrin, and her husband, Dr. Christopher Perrin, reading the poems aloud.
- Cathy Duffy Reviews
- A Dining Room Education
- Homeschool Blessings
- Walking Fruitfully
- Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
- Ben and Me
- Chickens, Bunnies, and Homeschool
- Homeschool Review
- Simply Audra Marie
- Homeschool Coffee Break
- Life with My Giggly Girls
- A Slice of Homeschool Pie
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
“So much more than a poetry curriculum, The Art of Poetry brings poetry to life and puts a living, breathing literature in your hands.” —Lynn, homeschool mom
“This is one of the best poetry anthologies geared for middle/high school.” —Rhonda, homeschool mom
“The Art of Poetry is one of the very best curriculum resources I have used in almost twenty years of homeschooling and I wanted to be sure that you knew that. Well done and thank you!” —Heather, homeschool mom
Art of Poetry Audio Files (MP3) These complimentary audio files feature the author, Christine Perrin, and her husband, Dr. Christopher Perrin, reading aloud over 100 poems included in the Art of Poetry course. *Please note, the zipped file is over 200MB and may take a long time to download, depending on your connection speed.
Christine Perrin, MFA
Christine Perrin is the director of writing at Messiah College and has taught literature and creative writing at Johns Hopkins University, with Gordon College’s Orvieto Program, through the Pennsylvania Arts Council to students of all ages, and at the local classical school where her children attended. She consults with classical schools in curriculum development and faculty development in poetry and writing, and speaks regularly at the CiRCE Institute as well as the Society for Classical Learning conferences. She is a two-time recipient of the PA Arts Council Artists Fellowship and a Bread Loaf Writer’s Conference Fellowship. Her own work appears in various journals, including The New England Review, Image, TriQuarterly, Blackbird, Christianity and Literature, and The Cresset. Christine is the series editor for the Writing & Rhetoric series, published by Classical Academic Press. She attended Johns Hopkins as an undergraduate student and earned her MFA from the University of Maryland.
As a writer, she enjoys tracing the genealogical relationship of one writer to another and sees writing as the highest form of reading. She is interested in the conversation that the philosopher Gadamer thought we were meant to have with literature—one that causes us to live differently. He describes poetry as “a nearness.” She has learned a great deal from her students—conversation partners. Another influential polymath is the literary critic George Steiner, who insists that as readers we are here to serve the text, to dialogue with the writer, and to respond to art with art, to the extent that we are able. Some of her favorite work to do is with students writing a senior thesis, a yearlong writing project. Christine and her husband, Christopher, are the parents of three grown children: Zoë, Elle, and Noah.
Grade Level: Grades 7-12
Course Length: Semester or yearlong
Content Credit: 1/2 or 1 full high school credit (depending on depth of use)
- The Art of Poetry (Student Edition)
- The Art of Poetry Teacher's Edition
- The Art of Poetry Video (streaming or DVD Set)
Teacher training for this product available on ClassicalU!