- About the Author
What's new in the 2nd edition? All revisions for Physics: Modeling Nature 2nd edition were made to reflect the substantial revisions to the metric system, which went into effect in 2019. Learn more about the major metric system changes here.
Can I trade-in my Physics: Modeling Nature 1st edition textbook? If the product was purchased between 6/1/20 and 1/8/21, and it is unused, you may trade it in using our trade-in form. Due to the nature of this product with revisions, we will no longer process refunds or exchanges for first editions of this product purchased after 1/8/21.
Physics: Modeling Nature addresses the complaints teachers typically have with many of the current physics offerings. It is especially suited to STEM programs with a college-preparatory mission. Students who aspire to a technical career will find this to be the best text available, with fresh, elucidating illustrations and a narrative that explains concepts with attention to detail. Teachers will appreciate the book as a solid reference and lecturing tool.
Many ask about this book’s suitability to AP Physics. From our FAQ page, “Modeling Nature can be used with the AP Physics 1/2 curriculum. In each case, the text covers the entire AP curriculum with a small number of exceptions.” Read here for more.
Finally, Modeling Nature employs vector calculations and assumes students have completed trigonometry as a prerequisite. Problems in the text are not calculus-based, but since many students will take calculus concurrently with advanced physics, connections between the two are frequently highlighted. Modeling Nature is written with Novare priorities—supporting a mastery-learning paradigm, integrating related subjects, and a Kingdom perspective that inspires wonder in the beauty and complexity of God’s great world.
Full program includes:
- Physics: Modeling Nature Each chapter of this text includes plenty of exercises and clearly defined learning objectives. Novare’s trademark integration of the essential historical background also enhances awareness of the legacy and present-day community of scientists.
- Digital Resources for Physics: Modeling Nature These documents to help the teacher conduct class include a course overview, quizzes, chapter tests, semester exams, keys, weekly review guides, and more.
- Solutions Manual for Physics: Modeling Nature This useful supplement is designed for students, homeschoolers, and teachers who would like help with working out the calculations and problems in Physics: Modeling Nature.
- Experiments for Physics: Modeling Nature This volume contains the complete teacher’s instructions for conducting 5 lab experiments for Physics: Modeling Nature, as well as color photos of the experiments being conducted in a classroom setting. Each chapter typically includes Learning Objectives, Materials List, Experimental Purpose, Scientific Overview, Pre-Lab Discussion Points, Student Instructions, any Safety Concerns, and discussion of the use of any special apparatus.
Optional Resources Available for Purchase
You may wish to purchase the following optional resources to further supplement this course:
John D. Mays
After receiving his BS in Electrical Engineering from Texas A&M University, John D. Mays worked for 14 years as an electrical engineering and engineering manager in the areas of electrical, control, and telecommunications systems. Drawn toward the field of education, John acquired an MEd in Secondary Education from the University of Houston in 1989, and subsequently completed 36 hours of graduate study in Physics at Texas A&M. Shortly after joining the faculty at Regents School of Austin in 1999, John began work on an MLA at St. Edward's University, which he completed in 2003. John served as Math-Science Department Chair at Regents School for nine years and as Director of the Laser Optics Lab for 10 years. He founded Novare Science & Math in 2009 and is the author of numerous science texts and teacher resources. He now works full time as Director of Science Curriculum for Classical Academic Press.
Grade Level: Grades 11-12
Course Length: Yearlong
SKU: PHYS MOD NAT BUNDLE
- Physics: Modeling Nature
- Digital Resources for Physics: Modeling Nature
- Solutions Manual for Physics: Modeling Nature
- Experiments for Physics: Modeling Nature