Latin Alive! Book 1 Online Module
$45.00 – $145.00
Note: Each online module enrollment is intended for one student only. If you have multiple students, you will need to purchase additional enrollments for each of them.
A yearlong, self-paced course for grades 7–8 and up
Learning Latin as an upper-school student can be challenging, and teaching it can feel overwhelming if you’re a parent or teacher with limited or no background in the language. We want to help make learning Latin accessible and straightforward! To guide students along their Latin journey, we have partnered with 2 experienced Latin tutors, who have a combined 20 years of successful online instruction, to provide an online component that will help students navigate through their study of the Latin Alive! series.
The Latin Alive Book 1! Online Module will guide students through the Latin Alive! Book 1 Student Edition chapter by chapter, providing assessments and quizzes, assignments, and accountability with the support of auto-grading and a suggested schedule. This online module also includes additional practice exercises not found in the textbook, giving students more opportunities to refine their learning as they progress through the school year.
The Latin Alive! Book 1 Online Module is available for purchase as 3 separate levels, each with varying features, depending on students’ needs. Please note: Access to the online module runs from September 1, 2019–May 31, 2020. All enrollments must be received by August 30, 2019.
The Level 1 option includes the following features:
- Self-graded weekly vocabulary quiz: can be taken twice, with only the highest grade counted
- Self-graded unit tests: can be taken once
- A suggested schedule for completing the text within 1 school year
- Slides explaining the major points, concepts, and memorization facts for each chapter
- An easily printable memorization page that includes all major memorization work for each chapter
- Links to practice chapter vocabulary prior to the weekly quiz
- Reading schedule to complete Greek Myths by D’Aulaires over the course of the school year
- Additional practice exercises for major concepts that require repetition for mastery (these exercises do not count toward the overall course grade)
- Links to help students prepare for the National Latin Exam and National Mythology Exam
The Level 2 option includes all of the Level 1 features, PLUS:
- Self-graded chapter-by-chapter exercises: can be taken repeatedly until the concepts are mastered
- Multiple-choice comprehension questions for each chapter reading translation
- Online weekly support (available September 1, 2019–May 31, 2020) from a Latin teacher who will assist students in 2 ways:
- Students can add questions/comments within the module on each exercise, quiz, and test. The Latin teacher will then answer the student directly within the module (similar to a teacher writing a comment or answering a question on a paper test). These questions/comments will be addressed by the Latin teacher within 6 days of submission.
- Students and parents can send 1 weekly e-mail to the Latin teacher with their compiled questions/comments, which the Latin teacher will respond to on the following Monday.
The Level 3 option includes all of the Level 2 features, PLUS the option to attend a live, online Q&A session with the Latin teacher once a month (September 2019–May 2020) to ask questions or review concepts. These meetings are open to all enrolled students and will be held on the following schedule:
- Latin Alive! Book 1: 2nd Monday of every month, 7:00–8:00 p.m. EST
- Latin Alive! Book 2: 3rd Monday of each month, 7:00–8:00 p.m. EST
- Latin Alive! Book 3: 1st Thursday of every month, 7:00–8:00 p.m. EST (first meeting will be on September 5)
The live Q&A sessions will be recorded and, upon request, a link to view a session can be sent to any student who was unable to attend. If you do not want a recording of your student’s participation to be shared in this way, please notify the online module developer (you will receive contact information in your order confirmation e-mail).
Feedback and questions regarding access or technical issues for all levels should be directed to the online module developer. You will receive contact information in your order confirmation e-mail.
For more information, please see the “FAQ” tab above.
Q: Do we still need to purchase the Latin Alive! books if we purchase the online module?
A: Yes! Because the student edition serves as both a textbook AND a workbook, your student will still need the textbook in order to work through the online module. You will also need the teacher’s edition to help you (the parent) answer questions and work with your student through weekly lessons.
Q: Does this product include live Latin instruction?
A: No. With the exception of the e-mail support (Levels 2 and 3) and the live, monthly Q&A session with a Latin teacher (Level 3), this is a self-taught online module. While it includes resources and support (slides, songs, links, memorization pages, etc.) for your student, it is not a substitute for live, teacher-led instruction. If you are interested in live, weekly classes to help your student learn Latin, Classical Academic Press offers live, online courses and tutoring options through Scholé Academy.
Q: If I purchased Level 2 or Level 3, how do I access the Latin teacher for product support and questions during the school year (September 1, 2019–May 31, 2020)?
A: Each student/parent enrolled in Level 2 or Level 3 may send 1 weekly e-mail with questions. The Latin teacher will respond the following Monday. Levels 2 and 3 also have the option for students to add brief questions/comments within the module on each exercise, quiz, and test. The teacher will address those questions as well, just like giving written feedback on a paper assignment. If your student is enrolled in Level 3, the Latin teacher will provide instructions for accessing the monthly Q&A sessions.
Q: How are tests administered?
A: As the parent, you will proctor the weekly vocabulary quizzes and unit tests. Prior to the start of the school year, the online module developer will e-mail you a page with passwords for these quizzes and tests.
Q: Our school year doesn’t start until January. May I have access to the online module beyond May?
A: Yes. Access to the online module is for a 9-month period, but this can be adjusted on an individual basis. However, please note that the contact with a Latin teacher via e-mail and the monthly Q&A sessions (Levels 2 and 3) are only available September 1, 2019–May 31, 2020. (Teachers need breaks, too!) To adjust the time period for your access, you will need to contact the online module developer (contact information will be provided in your order confirmation e-mail).
Q: How do I check my student’s progress?
A: As the parent, you will have access to log in and check to ensure your student’s work is complete and to view course grades.
Q: I want to assign my student’s grades on my own instead of using your system, but I still want him/her to complete all of the evaluations through the online module. Is that OK?
A: Yes, you may give your student whatever grades you, as the parent/teacher, deem appropriate, with whatever weighting you choose. In this case, the online grading system can serve as a suggestion.
Q: I need to report my student’s courses and grades to my school district as part of my state’s homeschool supervision. Will this product work for that purpose?
A: Yes, you may use the online module grades as part of your student’s transcript. You can also download an automated grade report from the online module.