Well-Ordered Language Level 1B Program
This curriculum is designed for teachers and students to actively engage with each other and with the grammatical concepts in each lesson, using language skills—reading, writing, speaking, and listening—along with physical movement, songs, and chants. Through Well-Ordered Language’s unique, creative, and orderly method of analyzing the grammatical functions of the parts of speech, students will find the mastery of grammar achievable, meaningful, and delightful.
Full program includes:
- Well-Ordered Language Level 1B (consumable student edition) Students will not merely be able to identify the parts of a sentence, but also understand how words behave in a sentence. As students see the components of language (the parts of speech) unfold before them throughout the Well-Ordered Language series, they will be able to apply their knowledge, gathering and arranging words to express their thoughts clearly and accurately. Well-Ordered Language Level 1B (WOL 1B) will introduce students to:
- Object pronouns
- Prepositional phrases—adverbial
- Introductory prepositional phrases
- Compound subjects
- Compound verbs
- Compound direct objects
- Well-Ordered Language Level 1B Teacher’s Edition The teacher’s edition includes the entire student text and also features:
- Pedagogical guidance and tips embedded in the text and collected in an appendix
- Extensive explanation of and guidance in Well-Ordered Language’s unique analytic approach to grammar
- Suggested activities and games for review
- Answers for all student exercises
- Suggested schedules for teaching Well-Ordered Language Level 1B
- Cathy Duffy Reviews
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
- Lextin Eclectic
- Creative Madness Mama
“Another reason I stopped by your booth was to see the new grammar curriculum—it’s enchanting! (I never thought I would use ‘grammar curriculum’ and ‘enchanting’ in the same sentence!!!) Just like the new Writing & Rhetoric program. Thank you for consistently producing materials that overflow with goodness, truth, and beauty!” —Julie E, homeschool mom
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
To learn more about why we chose the title Well-Ordered Language, read co-author Daniel Coupland’s blog post here.
Adapting Well-Ordered Language for Homeschool (blog post)
Author and educator Tammy Peters earned her BA in elementary education and a minor in English from the University of Wisconsin in 1982, and her MA in reading from Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee in 1987. During her teaching career, she taught at elementary, undergraduate, and graduate levels and also worked as a district reading specialist. She recently retired from her position as a third-grade teacher at Mars Hill Academy, a classical Christian school in Cincinnati, where she had taught, written grammar curriculum, and mentored the elementary staff since 2000.
Daniel B. Coupland, PhD
Dr. Daniel B. Coupland is a professor and chairman of the Education Department and dean of the faculty at Hillsdale College. He earned a BA in Spanish from Liberty University, an MA in linguistics from Oakland University, and a PhD in education from Michigan State University. He began his career in education as a high school teacher. At Hillsdale College, he teaches courses on English grammar and classic children’s literature. In 2013, Dr. Coupland was named Hillsdale College’s “Professor of the Year.” In 2016, he was a resident scholar at the C.S. Lewis Study Centre (The Kilns) in Oxford, UK. In 2017, Dr. Coupland received the Emily Daugherty Award for Teaching Excellence. His research focuses on classic children’s literature and English grammar instruction. Dr. Coupland served for six years on the board of directors for the Society for Classical Learning and is the former editor of the Society’s Journal. He also served as the associate editor for Arts and Liberty: A Journal on Liberal Arts and Liberal Education.
Grade Level: Grades 3-4
Course Length: Semester
- Well-Ordered Language Level 1B (Student Edition)
- Well-Ordered Language Level 1B Teacher’s Edition