Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace Program Samples
Think of the progymnasmata as a step-by-step apprenticeship in the art of writing and rhetoric. In the award-winning Writing & Rhetoric series, author Paul Kortepeter has recovered this proven method of teaching writing in conjunction with critical thinking and speaking. Writing & Rhetoric: Commonplace (Student Edition) provides students with forms and models of excellent writing that they will imitate as they progress down the path to masterful writing. This is the sixth in a series of 12 books that will train students over 6 years.
Full program includes:
- Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace (consumable student edition) continues the development of the art of persuasive writing and oration. Students will learn to create six-paragraph essays that are arguments against the common vices of people and arguments in favor of common virtues. For example, cowardice and boasting are criticized while courage and humility are commended. In addition to practicing skills they learned in earlier books, students will learn to:
- Write six-paragraph essays
- Support a thesis statement
- Argue against certain vices
- Argue for certain virtues
- Use comparison and contrast
- Introduce and conclude an essay
- Use a rhetorical device known as “the contrary”
- Invent soliloquies to support an argument
- Deliver writing orally
- Revise writing
- Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace Teacher’s Edition This teacher’s edition includes the complete student text, as well as answer keys, teacher’s notes, and explanations. For every writing assignment, this edition also supplies descriptions and examples of what excellent student writing should look like, providing the teacher with meaningful and concrete guidance.
- Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace Audio Files These audio files accompany the Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace textbook and allow students to engage their sense of hearing and their listening intelligence as Greg Lowe delivers the readings aloud in a thoughtful manner.
See the Support tab above for suggested schedule and product support.
Grade Level: Grades 5-6
Course Length: Semester
- Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace (Student Edition)
- Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace Teacher’s Edition
- Writing & Rhetoric Book 6: Commonplace MP3 Audio Files