- About the Authors
A one-semester course for grades 4 or 5 and up
This curriculum is designed for teachers and students to actively engage with each other and with the grammatical concepts in each lesson, using language skills—reading, writing, speaking, and listening—along with physical movement, songs, and chants. Through Well-Ordered Language’s unique, creative, and orderly method of analyzing the grammatical functions of the parts of speech, students will find the mastery of grammar achievable, meaningful, and delightful.
Full program includes:
Well-Ordered Language Level 2A (consumable student edition) Students will not merely be able to identify the parts of a sentence, but also understand how words behave in a sentence. As students see the components of language (the parts of speech) unfold before them throughout the Well-Ordered Language series, they will be able to apply their knowledge, gathering and arranging words to express their thoughts clearly and accurately. Well-Ordered Language Level 2A (WOL 2A) will introduce students to:
- Four kinds of sentences (declarative, interrogatory, imperative, exclamatory) and principal elements
- Predicate verbs and direct objects
- Predicate nominatives
- Predicate adjectives
- Predicate review
- Possessive nouns
Well-Ordered Language Level 2A Teacher's Edition The teacher's edition includes the entire student text and also features:
- Pedagogical guidance and tips embedded in the text and collected in an appendix
- Extensive explanation of and guidance in Well-Ordered Language’s unique analytic approach to grammar and diagramming sentences
- Suggested activities and games for review
- Answers for all student exercises
- Suggested schedules for teaching Well-Ordered Language Level 2A
- The Well-Ordered Language Level 2 Songs & Chants (for 1-3 students) are lively tunes and chants that will help students learn grammar terms in a pleasurable and memorable way. These unique and delightful recordings feature a blend of musical genres and implement repetition, chanting, and sing-along phrases to aid in achieving memorization. You will likely find students singing these catchy songs outside of class! The songs and chants are also an excellent resource for those who want to brush up on their grammar. The 13 tracks cover all of the grammar terms used in Well-Ordered Language 2A and 2B. A downloadable PDF of the song titles and lyrics is also available at no charge. Key terms and definitions introduced in previous books will be reviewed in each level. We recommend purchasing the Level 1 songs to accompany the Level 2 lessons.
The songs & chants license that comes with this purchase is for 1–3 students and is copyrighted material. Special co-op and school licensing options for 4 or more students are available for purchase. Please call us at 866-730-0711 or email us at orders(at)classicalsubjects.com to upgrade your license.
Well-Ordered Language Level 2A Extra Practice & Assessments PDF This 89-page supplemental resource, referred to throughout the book as “downloadable PDF” or “PDF,” is for those who want more! It includes for each chapter: additional sentences to analyze; an additional "Lesson to Enjoy" (featuring either a tale or a poem); and a quiz. It also includes Bibliography: Seek the Sources, Glossary of Terms, Song Lyrics, Diagramming Overview, and About the Title. The content of the PDF is ideal for use as additional classroom lessons or for homework when needed.
The PDF license that comes with this purchase is for 1–3 students and is copyrighted material. Special co-op and school licensing options for 4 or more students are available for purchase. Please call us at 866-730-0711 or email us at orders(at)classicalsubjects.com to upgrade your license.
Note: The WOL series consists of 4 levels, each containing a Book A and a Book B.
The audio product is offered as a ZIP file containing individual MP3 files. MP3 files can be used with most popular music players, such as iTunes. For help installing the files on iTunes, see this page.
- Well-Ordered Language Level 2A (consumable student edition) Students will not merely be able to identify the parts of a sentence, but also understand how words behave in a sentence. As students see the components of language (the parts of speech) unfold before them throughout the Well-Ordered Language series, they will be able to apply their knowledge, gathering and arranging words to express their thoughts clearly and accurately. Well-Ordered Language Level 2A (WOL 2A) will introduce students to:
- Cathy Duffy Reviews
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
- Lextin Eclectic
- Creative Madness Mama
“This year we used Well-Ordered Language (WOL) for our 3rd- and 4th-grade classes, and next year we will add it to our 5th-grade curriculum. As an administrator, I had searched high and low for a curriculum that truly fit our mission as a classical Christian school, and I had begun to think that in order to truly serve our students well I would have to begin working on creating a curriculum from scratch. The WOL program has been a wonderful surprise and a great gift to our academy. For students, WOL provides plenty of explanation, practice, and memorization in a context full of beauty, whimsy, and worthwhile language. We love the fact that every example comes from great poetry or stories that echo what we are already studying. For teachers, WOL gives excellent guidance, classroom wisdom, and tools for assessment and enrichment. I was delighted to hear that CAP has added teacher training videos to their site, and I can't wait to share them with my team. Thank you!” —Julie Dreher, Grammar School Head and 4th-grade teacher, Sequitur Classical Academy, Baton Rouge, LA
“Another reason I stopped by your booth was to see the new grammar curriculum—it’s enchanting! (I never thought I would use ‘grammar curriculum’ and ‘enchanting’ in the same sentence!!!) Just like the new Writing & Rhetoric program. Thank you for consistently producing materials that overflow with goodness, truth, and beauty!” —Julie E., homeschool mom
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
To learn more about why we chose the title Well-Ordered Language, read co-author Daniel Coupland’s blog post here.
Well-Ordered Language Full Series Scope & Sequence (PDF)
Well-Ordered Language Level 2A Suggested Schedule (PDF)
Well-Ordered Language Homeschooler’s Guide (PDF)
Adapting Well-Ordered Language for Homeschool (blog post)
Author and educator Tammy Peters earned her BA in elementary education and a minor in English from the University of Wisconsin in 1982, and her MA in reading from Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee in 1987. During her teaching career, she taught at elementary, undergraduate, and graduate levels and also worked as a district reading specialist. She retired in 2013 from her position as lead mentor-teacher at Mars Hill Academy, a classical Christian school in Cincinnati, where she had taught since 2000. She and her husband live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where Tammy continues to write and consult with schools.
Daniel B. Coupland, PhD
Dr. Daniel B. Coupland is a professor and chairman of the Education Department and dean of the faculty at Hillsdale College. He earned a BA in Spanish from Liberty University, an MA in linguistics from Oakland University, and a PhD in education from Michigan State University. He began his career in education as a high school teacher. At Hillsdale College, he teaches courses on English grammar and classic children’s literature. In 2013, Dr. Coupland was named Hillsdale College’s “Professor of the Year.” In 2016, he was a resident scholar at the C.S. Lewis Study Centre (The Kilns) in Oxford, UK. In 2017, Dr. Coupland received the Emily Daugherty Award for Teaching Excellence. His research focuses on classic children’s literature and English grammar instruction. Dr. Coupland served for six years on the board of directors for the Society for Classical Learning and is the former editor of the Society’s Journal. He also served as the associate editor for Arts and Liberty: A Journal on Liberal Arts and Liberal Education.
Grade Level: Grades 4-5
Course Length: Semester
- Well-Ordered Language Level 2A (Student Edition)
- Well-Ordered Language Level 2A Teacher's Edition
- Well-Ordered Language Level 2A & 2B Songs & Chants