Full program includes:
- Song School Latin Book 2 (consumable student edition) This interactive workbook text, accompanied by a CD featuring 30 songs and chants, is filled with fun activities; 32 weekly lessons, including 7 review chapters; and 175 everyday vocabulary words, including 75 words and grammar topics from Latin for Children Primer A.
- Song School Latin Book 2 Teacher’s Edition This edition includes the entire Song School Latin Book 2 student book content, along with answers and additional teacher’s notes. The latter portion of the book consists of extra activity pages for each chapter, including the review chapters.
- Song School Latin Book 2 Streaming Video (or 3-DVD Set) A total of 24 episodes feature a lively magistra and magister who narrate the vocabulary practice, simple grammar lessons, and derivative training. Simeon the Monkey makes appearances in each episode, delighting students with his animated story, which features numerous vocabulary words. There is also an animated “Derivative River” that highlights the way in which Latin words have come into various languages, including English, Spanish, and French. The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. Streaming access lasts for the life of the product.
- Latin Monkey Match 2 Flashcard Game A fun supplement, the Latin Monkey Match 2 Flashcard Game features all the vocabulary from Song School Latin Book 2. In groups or individually, students can play Memory or Go Fish by collecting Latin and English matches. The cards can also be used as flash cards for extra practice. Each card lists the corresponding chapter number from Song School Latin Book 2.
Q: Can I purchase a second student edition without the CD for my other students/children?
A: Unfortunately, no. Because we print such large quantities of the student edition with the CD included, we would actually have to charge more for a version without a CD if we did a small print run.
- Cathy Duffy Reviews
- Hip Homeschool Moms (2014)
- HomeSchool Reviews
- Teaching Stars
- Lextin Eclectic
- Hip Homeschool Moms (2016)
- Artful Homemaking
- Cindy Rinna
- Simple Homeschool
“I just started Song School Latin 1 this summer with my daughter (who is 8). Of all the things in the classical model that I have had to muster up the courage to attempt to learn or re-learn, Latin was the biggest. . . . Then I watched the preview clip of SSL on YouTube and found it so modern, clear, approachable and visually appealing that I bought it on hope. It has been WONDERFUL! My daughter loves it, and what’s more, I do too. We are using our Latin words and giggling at Simeon and I finally feel confident that I have found a great company to help me overcome my intimidation with Latin. Sum Optime!!!!!!!” —Mindy, homeschool mom
“A six-year-old boy’s favorite part of school is Latin? Want to know why? We’re using Song School Latin. We love this curriculum. I cannot recommend this book enough for the family who wants to gently introduce their early elementary student to Latin.” —Amy, Heart of the Matter Online
“Classical Academic Press seems to have a knack for producing materials that are academically sound and very user-friendly for both parent-teachers and students. Song School Latin does not disappoint. One of the appealing aspects of the program is the common, practical applications of Latin to children’s everyday life. Even though I have no formal background in Latin, I am so excited to begin the program with my son who will be starting kindergarten in the fall.” —Nancy Casari Dayton, The Old Schoolhouse magazine
“My children loved Song School Latin so much that they begged me to get Song School Greek. Even my three-year-old is picking up Latin words. It’s a wonderful introduction and well worth every penny.”
—Laura, homeschool mom
“My boys, ages 4 and 7, beg to do their Latin. This program is fabulous!” —Aundrea, homeschool mom
“My daughter just loves the Song School Latin and you have made teaching easier on me!” —Heather, homeschool mom
“My kids love Song School Latin because it’s fun (and the songs are funny!). I love Song School Latin because it has been a gentle introduction to Latin for my 9-year-old and my 6-year-old has joined right in. The kids play Go Fish with their Latin Monkey Match cards and love to sing along with the lesson’s songs.” —Erica, homeschool mom
“I originally only planned to teach my daughter Latin this year but when my son saw how much fun Song School Latin was he wanted to learn too!” —Khristin, homeschool mom
“After reading about the harsh conditions of growing up in ancient Sparta, I asked my 5 yr. old (studying Song School Latin) how he would like to have grown up there. He replied, ‘I’d be pessime’d, Mom.’ I’m not sure I like mixing English slang with Latin, but at least he’s incorporating his Latin vocabulary into everyday conversations!” —Betty, homeschool mom
“My three boys, ages 4, 5, and 7, LOVE Song School Latin. it’s probably their favorite subject!” —Elizabeth, homeschool mom
“They loved Song School Latin Book 1 so much that they would do the entire lesson, DVD lesson, student workbook, song/chant, and vocabulary cards all in one day! And if that wasn’t enough, they wanted to do it daily! Sometimes they even wanted to do more on the weekends!” —Tanya, writer at The Natural Homeschool
“Classical Academic Press quickly became a respected source for quality Latin programs with their Latin for Children series, and Song School Latin reflects their solid reputation. The songs are catchy, easy to memorize and even enjoyable for the educator (a big plus!), and the material is fun, engaging and creates a genuine excitement for the material. Quite honestly, it is the best we have seen thus far; I highly recommend it!” —J.H., homeschool parent
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
“Joy to the World” in Latin—classical pronunciation (YouTube video)
“Joy to the World” in Latin—ecclesiastical pronunciation (YouTube video)
Song School Latin Coloring Pages Color a picture for each Latin word in Song School Latin Book 2. Also a great activity for younger siblings! Pages for each chapter are available in the Song School Latin 2 zone on Headventure Land.
Amy Rehn, now Amy Gosnell, is a wife, homemaker, and mother of two toddler girls. She began studying Latin as a homeschooled high school student, and continued her Latin studies through classes at the University of Maryland. She taught Latin for five years in two classical homeschool academies and at a classical Christian school in Maryland.
She earned her BS in special education from Bob Jones University and her master’s in speech pathology from the University of South Carolina while working on the Song School Latin books. She currently practices in South Carolina as a part-time speech language pathologist, treating preschoolers with Downs and and a variety of other disabilities. She thrives on time outdoors with her family, ballroom dancing with her husband, and answering Latin questions from several of her adorable nephews and nieces.
Grade Level: Grades 2-3
Course Length: Yearlong
- Song School Latin Book 2 (Student Edition)
- Song School Latin Book 2 Teacher’s Edition
- Song School Latin Book 2 Video (streaming or DVD Set)
- Latin Monkey Match 2 Flashcard Game