Spanish for Children Primer A Program
$94.95 – $104.95
A yearlong course for grades 3-4 and up
The Spanish for Children Primer A Program teaches upper-elementary students this dynamic language using the pedagogy and structure of our popular Latin for Children series combined with immersion-style dialogues and vocabulary. The Spanish for Children series emphasizes grammar and the parts of speech as vital tools for the correct speaking and understanding of Spanish. The texts also use lively chants to aid memorization of both grammar and vocabulary.
Full program includes:
- Spanish for Children Primer A (consumable student edition) This book contains 37 weekly chapters, including 8 review chapters. Each chapter contains a memory page, a grammar page, a fun worksheet, and a quiz. Students will learn over 290 commonly used vocabulary words. The engaging and conversational text explains grammar concepts such as verb conjugation, tenses, and noun genders and helps teach students to construct Spanish sentences well. All teaching and explanation provided in the student edition is written at the student’s reading level.
- Spanish for Children Primer A Answer Key This teacher’s tool contains copies of the actual worksheets and quizzes from Spanish for Children Primer A with answers filled in with a large, bold font.
- Spanish for Children Primer A Streaming Video (or 4-DVD & 1-CD Set) Using the Spanish for Children Primer A video is like having an experienced, energetic, and passionate Spanish teacher sit down and teach your students! Each 15-minute lesson corresponds to the weekly chapter in Spanish for Children Primer A and features author Julia Kraut chanting the grammar charts and vocabulary and thoroughly explaining the Spanish grammar. The audio chants (take them anywhere you go!) include the grammar chart chants and complete vocabulary. The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. Streaming access lasts for the life of the product.
- Tin Bot Presented primarily in English, this story intermixes common Spanish words into each sentence. Students will help solve the mysterious case of the dognapped canine in this fun story about a bilingual robot private eye. This 64-page reader is tied with the vocabulary from Spanish for Children Primer A. Spanish doesn’t have to be dry and boring, and it will certainly come alive in Tin Bot!
A special note from Spanish for Children author Julia Kraut:
Our goal with the Spanish for Children series is to teach students “why.” We focus on the rules that govern the language and spend a large amount of time comparing Spanish and English grammar. In many ways, this series doesn’t teach just Spanish—it teaches how to go about learning a language in general. This is different from the “scenario-focused” approach of many other textbooks, where students learn vocabulary that relates to specific subjects and then learn to discuss those subjects. While students using SFC do memorize vocabulary each week, using groups of related words to talk about various subjects and scenarios is “the icing on the cake”—the “cake” being an understanding of the patterns of the Spanish language, and knowing which word belongs where and why.
HeadventureLand.com is the place to go for interactive, fun, and sometimes downright silly ways to practice Spanish. Students will play games, read stories, and watch videos, all tied to the vocabulary and grammar of Spanish for Children Primer A! We believe learning can be a great joy, and we want your students to feel that way, too. This site encourages students to play, practice, and hone their skills. Children will look forward to their Spanish practice!
“We LOVE Spanish for Children! Classical Academic Press has provided us with quality curriculum! I have been looking for an elementary-level Spanish that does not dumb down the language and assume the kids can only learn colors and numbers. As a Spanish teacher, the number one problem I have found is that high school students do not know first, second, and third person. Spanish for Children introduces this in the very first lesson along with verb conjugation. Thank you for realizing just what children are capable of learning! This is perfect!” —Cynthia, homeschool mom
“What a super resource—muchas gracias, qué bueno!” —Christina, homeschool mom
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
Spanish for Children Primer A Flash Cards (PDF) These flash cards are keyed to the vocabulary learned in Primer A. Decks are split into two different decks (Spanish and English) so that you can print them separately or on the backs of each other (single sided or double sided). Spanish Flash Cards – English Flash Cards
A lifelong lover of studying language and culture, Julia holds a master’s degree in Spanish language and culture from the Universidad de Salamanca Cursos Internacionales (in Spain), and another in Études du monde anglophone (Anglophone cultural studies) from Aix-Marseille University in France. She also has BAs in international studies, theatre arts, and medieval studies from Pennsylvania State University, where she was a Schreyer Honors Scholar.
After teaching Spanish in a K–8 setting, Julia married a Francophile and moved to France, where she taught English in elementary and middle schools and at the university level, all while continuing to study Spanish and Catalan, a romance language spoken in Andorra and parts of Spain. Out of all the classes she has taken, her favorite involved studying how Spanish evolved from Latin during the Middle Ages. As a researcher, she is particularly interested in how creativity and play affect learning, and in how our understanding of the past is meaningful to us in the present.
Julia is also the author of the Song School Spanish series. Her children enjoy asking her to sing the “Sit on Your Silla Song” from Song School Spanish to all their friends.
Sarah Foose is a fluent and enthusiastic Spanish speaker and an experienced Spanish teacher. She enjoys the language-learning process in its own right and sharing this love with her students. Her Spanish journey began when she was young, continued at Duke University where she was a Spanish major, and came to fruition with a second major in Latino studies, two stints studying abroad in southern Mexico, and various interpreting, missions, and immigrant advocacy roles as an adult. Sarah has taught Spanish to grades 3 through 10, both privately and at a classical school in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She has also taught dialectic and rhetoric school math, history, logic, literature, and ESL literature.
Sarah loves Spanish grammar but enjoys even more the beauty of cross-cultural relationships made possible by a common language—this is what Spanish class is ultimately about! She and her husband, Jeremy, have two young, bilingual children, Leah and Annie, and live in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Sarah’s other passions include a gospel lifestyle, food, and the great outdoors. She teaches Spanish for Children A and B at Scholé Academy.
Grade Level: Grades 3-4 and up
Course Length: Yearlong
- Spanish for Children Primer A (Student Edition)
- Spanish for Children Primer A Answer Key
- Spanish for Children Primer A Video (streaming or DVD/CD Set)
- Tin Bot (Spanish language reader)