Latin for Children Primer A Program Samples
Designed, revised, and continually sharpened since 2001, the award-winning Latin for Children curriculum continues to be a strong, inviting, and creative program designed to introduce students as young as fourth graders to Latin. It incorporates elements that will engage students of every learning style. As a step beyond just an exposure to the language, when used as a whole, this series trains students in grammar, vocabulary, and English derivatives in a lively, interactive way that is perfectly suited to students in the grammar stage. The Latin for Children series is taught directly to the child and is a perfect choice for teachers and parents, including those who will be learning along with their students.
- Latin for Children Primer A (student edition and workbook) Each workbook is easy to use, incremental, and filled with clear grammatical explanations written expressly for the student. Exercises, tests, and a useful reference section are also included. Lessons teach mnemonic aids (songs, chants) that enable students to learn vocabulary and grammar with ease and delight. There are clear explanations of grammar in every chapter, written at the student’s level. Guidance is given for both classical and/or ecclesiastical pronunciations.
- Latin for Children Primer A Answer Key This teacher’s tool features actual, full-size pages from the primer, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print.
- Latin for Children Primer A DVD & CD Set This 3-DVD, 2-chant-CD set offers chapter-by-chapter teaching by author Dr. Christopher Perrin along with two students. Clear, whiteboard grammar lessons are given from his cozy office, and the memory page is chanted in front of a big stone fireplace complete with motions and songs/chants led by students. Each lesson is an average of 15 minutes and corresponds to the weekly chapter in Latin for Children Primer A. It features the chanting and singing of vocabulary, including noun declensions and verb conjugations, and clear grammatical explanations. The text from the book appears on the screen as the material is presented, making it easy to follow along aurally and visually. The DVD can be used to prep the teacher for the lesson, to help a student catch up on a missed lesson, to help a student maintain or catch up over the summer, or be used with a substitute when the teacher is absent. The audio CDs capture Dr. Perrin and his students pronouncing and rhythmically repeating each grammar chart and vocabulary word in the primer—first the Latin, then the English equivalent. This is an incredible tool to use for fun memorization. It contains all 240 vocabulary words chanted and sung in both the classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations. Take it wherever you go!
- Latin for Children Primer A Activity Book! With over 100 pages of games, puzzles, and fun, these books make mastery of a classical language anything but boring! Students will love learning Latin and look forward to class.
- Latin for Children Primer A History Reader Now young Latin scholars can begin to translate and read a selection of simple Latin stories at their own level. The stories are integrated with the grammar and vocabulary of Latin for Children Primer A, correspond with the Veritas Press History Card series, and feature stories of Ancient Greece and Rome. The History Reader contains glosses for new words in each chapter and a full glossary at the end of the book.
Grade Level: Grades 4-7
Course Length: Yearlong
- Latin for Children Primer A (Student Edition)
- Latin for Children Primer A Answer Key
- Latin for Children Primer A History Reader
- Latin for Children Primer A Activity Book
- Latin for Children Primer A DVD/CD Set
How to Teach Latin (PDF) 15 pages on teaching Latin for Children for teachers.
Suggested Weekly Schedule (PDF) Suggestions for a weekly schedule using the full program.
HeadventureLand.com is the place to go for exciting, fun, and sometimes downright silly ways to practice Latin. Students will play games for high scores, read funny stories, and watch exciting bilingual (“spliced”) video adventures. The site includes several free activities, plus much more is available as part of a paid subscription. These all correspond with what they are learning in Latin for Children Primer A. HeaventureLand.com will require students to use their intellect and imagination at once. Learning a new skill or subject is always a journey full of discoveries and it can be a great joy when children are ready to jump in. Students will ask for this homework!
Primer A Bonus Worksheets (PDF) 91 pages of exercises, quizzes, & tests, and Answer Key for use with LFC Primer A. FREE to copy, use, and distribute (not for resale). These files have been contributed by various authors. Feel free to submit your worksheets for consideration.
Basic Latin Charts! (PDF) Colorful charts display the five noun declensions and the verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters. A helpful resource for any Latin student!
Interactive Latin Charts! (PDF) These black and white Latin charts are easy to print, color, and cut out. Once cut, the charts provide an excellent hands-on approach to practicing all five noun declensions and verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters.
Latin for Children Flash Cards (PDF) These flash cards are keyed to the vocabulary in their corresponding book. Decks are split into two different decks (for example: a Latin deck and the English deck) so that you can print them separately or on the backs of each other (single sided or double sided). Latin Flash Cards – English Flash Cards
Thanksgiving Story Activity (PDF) A fun short story about a timid hawk flying south for the winter. Includes a Latin vocabulary list, two pages of activities, and an answer key at the end.
Latin Advent Calendar (PDF) Celebrate advent by printing and assembling this Latin Advent Calendar. Each day open a door to learn an advent-related Latin word! Two designs are available: Latin Advent Calendar One and Latin Advent Calendar Two.
Latin for Children Primer A Errata (PDF) for version 3.7 and prior versions.
Latin for Children Primer A Activity Book Errata for version 2.5 and prior versions.