Latin for Children Primer A Program Samples
NEW 2017 REVISED EDITION!
To order the previous edition, please call us at 866-730-0711.
Designed, revised, and continually sharpened since 2001, the award-winning Latin for Children curriculum continues to be a strong, inviting, and creative program designed to introduce students as young as fourth graders to Latin. It incorporates elements that will engage students of every learning style. When used as a whole, this series trains students in grammar, vocabulary, and English derivatives in a lively, interactive way that is perfectly suited to students in the grammar stage. The Latin for Children series is taught directly to the child and is a perfect choice for teachers and parents, including those who will be learning along with their students.
Full program includes:
- Latin for Children Primer A (student edition and workbook) Each workbook is easy to use, incremental, and filled with clear grammatical explanations written expressly for the student. Exercises, tests, and a useful reference section are also included. Lessons teach mnemonic aids (songs, chants) that enable students to learn vocabulary and grammar with ease and delight. There are clear explanations of grammar in every chapter, written at the student’s level. Guidance is given for both classical and/or ecclesiastical pronunciations.
What’s in the New Revised Edition?
Latin for Children Primer A, now printed in full color, has been enhanced with beautiful illustrations as well as images and paintings of ancient Roman culture. An adventure story, Along the Appian Way, has also been added. Students will follow Marcus and Julia as they look for dropped coins or maybe even greater treasures—until an accidental run-in with an official messenger brings them more adventure than they bargained for! The chapter-by-chapter Latin grammar sequence remains the same as previous versions. The new teaching video, now in high-definition, is available in streaming or DVD format. Students will love studying Latin even more as they use this newly revised and improved edition.
- Latin for Children Primer A Answer Key This teacher’s tool features actual, full-size pages from the primer, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. This key corresponds with the newly revised edition of the primer and also includes a suggested weekly schedule.
- Latin for Children Primer A Streaming Video & Audio (or 8-DVD & 2-CD Set) The Primer A video, now in high definition, offers chapter-by-chapter teaching by author Dr. Christopher Perrin. Clear, engaging grammar lessons are given from his cozy classroom, and the memory page is chanted with motions and songs/chants led by students. Each lesson is 20–25 minutes and corresponds to the weekly chapter in Latin for Children Primer A. It features the chanting and singing of vocabulary, including noun declensions and verb conjugations, and clear grammatical explanations. The streaming version has new, fun extras and we are able to add more “extras” at anytime. These additions and/or updates show up without a cost to the customer. Streaming also comes with lifetime (of the product) access. The video can be used to prep the teacher for the lesson, to help a student catch up on a missed lesson, to help a student maintain or catch up over the summer, or as a substitute when the teacher is absent. The audio files (or CDs) capture the teacher and students pronouncing and rhythmically repeating each grammar chart and vocabulary word in the primer—first the Latin, then the English equivalent. These chants are an incredible tool to use for fun memorization and contain all 240 vocabulary words chanted and sung in both the classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations.
- Latin for Children Primer A Activity Book! With over 100 pages of games, puzzles, and fun, these books make mastery of a classical language anything but boring! Students will love learning Latin and look forward to class.
- Latin for Children Primer A History Reader Now young Latin scholars can begin to translate and read a selection of simple Latin stories at their own level. The stories are integrated with the grammar and vocabulary of Latin for Children Primer A, correspond with the Veritas Press History Card series, and feature stories of Ancient Greece and Rome. The History Reader contains glosses for new words in each chapter and a full glossary at the end of the book.
Note: The old editions of the primer and answer keys are not compatible with this newly revised edition (though the grammar is taught in the same sequence). The DVD and streaming video, however, will work with previous editions of the text.
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
How to Teach Latin (PDF) 15 pages on teaching Latin for Children for teachers.
Suggested Weekly Schedule (PDF) Suggestions for a weekly schedule using the full program.
HeadventureLand.com is the place to go for exciting, fun, and sometimes downright silly ways to practice Latin. Students will play games for high scores, read funny stories, and watch exciting bilingual (“spliced”) video adventures. The site includes several free activities, plus much more is available as part of a paid subscription. These all correspond with what they are learning in Latin for Children Primer A. HeaventureLand.com will require students to use their intellect and imagination at once. Learning a new skill or subject is always a journey full of discoveries and it can be a great joy when children are ready to jump in. Students will ask for this homework!
Primer A Bonus Worksheets (PDF) 91 pages of exercises, quizzes, & tests, and Answer Key for use with LFC Primer A. FREE to copy, use, and distribute (not for resale). These files have been contributed by various authors. Feel free to submit your worksheets for consideration.
Basic Latin Charts! (PDF) Colorful charts display the five noun declensions and the verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters. A helpful resource for any Latin student!
Interactive Latin Charts! (PDF) These black and white Latin charts are easy to print, color, and cut out. Once cut, the charts provide an excellent hands-on approach to practicing all five noun declensions and verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters.
Latin for Children Flash Cards (PDF) These flash cards are keyed to the vocabulary in their corresponding book. Decks are split into two different decks (for example: a Latin deck and the English deck) so that you can print them separately or on the backs of each other (single sided or double sided). Latin Flash Cards – English Flash Cards
Thanksgiving Story Activity (PDF) A fun short story about a timid hawk flying south for the winter. Includes a Latin vocabulary list, two pages of activities, and an answer key at the end.
Latin Advent Calendar (PDF) Celebrate advent by printing and assembling this Latin Advent Calendar. Each day open a door to learn an advent-related Latin word! Two designs are available: Latin Advent Calendar One and Latin Advent Calendar Two.
Latin for Children Primer A Errata (PDF) for version 3.7 and prior versions.
Latin for Children Primer A Activity Book Errata for version 2.5 and prior versions.
Grade Level: Grades 4-7
Course Length: Yearlong
- Latin for Children Primer A (Student Edition)
- Latin for Children Primer A Answer Key
- Latin for Children Primer A History Reader
- Latin for Children Primer A Activity Book
- Latin for Children Primer A Video & Audio (streaming or DVD/CD Set)