- About the Author
A yearlong course for students in grades 3-6
The Bible tells us God's story. It has many parts, but from beginning to end it is one story with a promise throughout: "I will be your God, and you will be My people." Through this story, we learn who God is, who mankind is, how the world came to be, and how God worked through history to bring redemption to His people. The God's Great Covenant series will narrate this story for your student in an engaging and unique way.
God's Great Covenant Old Testament 1: A Bible Course for Children teaches the biblical narrative from Genesis to Ruth, starting at the beginning when sin came into the world. This first book presents the overarching Old Testament themes of the promises and power of God, recounted in simple, weekly stories. Students will follow along with God’s people, see how He leads them and keeps His promises, and learn how the stories of God’s people begin to point us to the coming Savior, Jesus Christ.
Full program includes:
- God’s Great Covenant Old Testament 1 (consumable student edition) The student edition has 32 weekly chapters divided into 5 themed units. Each chapter includes the story of that week's Bible verses, presented at a clear, elementary reading level, and a memory page with a Bible verse, key facts chart, and vocabulary. A thought-provoking “Who is God?” question encourages students to consider how to relate to God in their own lives. There are also worksheets and a quiz to accompany each lesson.
- God’s Great Covenant Old Testament 1 Teacher’s Edition This edition contains all of the student edition content, as well as answer keys for the worksheets and quizzes. The teacher's edition also incorporates additional factual information to expand upon the historical, geographical, cultural, and theological concepts introduced in the student edition.
- God’s Great Covenant Old Testament 1 Audio Files Students can listen to and experience the story of God’s work through the Bible, learning how He leads and cares for His people. These audio files contain the readings featured in the God’s Great Covenant Old Testament 1 text, engagingly read by Dr. Christopher Perrin. The downloadable audio files are in MP3 format so you can take them anywhere you go!
- God’s Great Covenant Old Testament Timeline & Map Set This colorful poster set includes an interactive timeline of the events of the Old Testament, as well as a collection of 6 maps, all of which integrate the history and geography of ancient Egypt and the Near East. The set covers the entire Old Testament, corresponding with both God’s Great Covenant Old Testament 1 and God’s Great Covenant Old Testament 2.
See our Support tab above for schedule recommendations.
God’s Great Covenant Old Testament
- Double O Farms
- Coffee, Cobwebs, and Curriculum
- His Mercy is New
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
- We Don’t Need No Education
- Our Journey Westward
- Exodus Books
- Lextin Eclectic
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Homeschool Review Crew
- Special Connection Homeschool
- There’s More 2 Les
- Life with My Giggly Girls
- Mom of Many . . .
God’s Great Covenant New Testament
- Accidentally Homeschooling . . . and Beyond
- Exodus Books
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Homeschool Review Crew
- Life with the Tribe
- The Loose Screw
- My (re)Viewpoint
- The Fruit of Her Hands
- Moms Who Homeschool
- Our Homeschool Reviews
- Greyhaired Momma
- A Stable Beginning
- This Day Has Great Potential
- Logistically Large
- Shut the Fridge
- The Happy Homeschool Mom
- My Blessed Life
- The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
“My 8-year-old son loves God’s Great Covenant. It is very clear and well-written, and he enjoys all the activities and puzzles. He is retaining so much more than I expected. I love how the curriculum includes Hebrew and Greek words and English derivations.” —Julie, homeschool mom
“If I were to give a one-word review of God’s Great Covenant, it would simply be W-O-W!! I absolutely love this curriculum! And my 6th grader absolutely loves it, too. It’s good stuff. Strike that; it’s fantastic stuff.” —Jan, homeschool mom
“I have been using your Bible curriculum now for three years and have been recommending it to everyone I know. I appreciate the sound Bible teaching, the thorough and careful research, the avoidance of getting involved in controversial minor issues . . . and the excellent customer support!” —Rosalind, homeschool mom
“I love this curriculum, and I especially like the Teacher’s Guide. It has great information, making this an even more full and rich curriculum.” —Mary, Winecup Christian Academy
“We were so fascinated by the history and the maps found in the introduction that we spent several days on that alone! We found the history and the concise manner in which the facts were presented to be just right. The presentation is spot-on.” —Lisa, TOS Review Crew
“The extra notes in the margin of the teacher’s guide are amazing! [My student] loves the story time, and has a tendency to memorize everything she hears—so the audio recordings are perfect.” —Amy, homeschool mom
“What I liked about the text is that it is history, religion, and even a little philosophy all in one. The story-like context held our attention and created interest to keep learning.” —Jessica, TOS Review Crew
“Truly, this couldn’t be any easier to use—all the work has been done, and besides a Bible, no other materials are required. If you proceed at a tailored pace while working according to your child’s capabilities, you’ll see this workbook is compatible with a wide range of skills and learning styles, making it suitable for multi-grade teaching.” —Kathy, Homeschoolbuzz.com
“We also absolutely love the MP3 audio book. . . . I appreciate how Classical Academic Press fully equips the teacher via the Teacher’s Edition notes to teach this course with greater understanding of the Bible. You can tell that they did their homework when writing this Bible course.” —Linda, homeschool mom
“I appreciate the emphasis of Old Testament prophecy fulfilled that is the focus of God’s Great Covenant. I feel it will give my students a deeper appreciation and knowledge of how the New Testament builds upon the Old Testament and God’s perfect plan for salvation.” —Briana, TOS Review Crew
“We have really enjoyed using this book! I decided to use this book for our family devotions rather than as a workbook for one student. It is written from a covenantal and reformed theological perspective. I am a conservative, fundamental Baptist and haven’t found anything I would disagree with.” —Karen, homeschool mom of ten
“We really loved this curriculum! My kids would ask to do more of it on days we weren’t using it. Yes, you should check out this Bible curriculum. You won’t be sorry you did . . . or should I say you will be thanking me when you have found a great Bible curriculum.” —Sacha, blogger and high school mom
“I thought the layout of this course was well done. I like the scriptural accuracy. [My son] enjoyed the discussions, and by seeing the information on a page, it turned an abstract concept more concrete for him. Now I am not saying that will happen with all children on the autism spectrum, but it seemed to help him.” —Mrs. K, homeschool mother
“Thank you for producing a user-friendly, doctrinally correct Bible curriculum that also speaks to the hearts of children. I appreciate how your curriculum covers the facts, yet makes those facts relevant and easily available for application. It is so important for children to see that the OT isn’t just a dry history book! Your illustrations are also a favorite of my boys. They are continually remarking on one illustration or another, about how ‘cool’ they are.” —Paige, homeschool mom
“My boys love the pictures in your Bible study books, so they will definitely like your timeline. Bright, clear, and easy to read. . . . We continually review our OT. Thanks!” —Paige, homeschool mom
“The content and structure of this curriculum is designed so well that this sense of story comes through on each page.” —Mary Ann, homeschool mom
“Your Old and New Testament [workbooks] are the finest Bible curriculum I have seen.” —Wendy, homeschool mom
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
GGC Old Testament 1 Quiz Packet with Answer Keys (PDFs in ZIP)
Claire Larsen, MA
Claire Larsen has had a passion for writing for children ever since she took her first Institute of Children’s Literature course more than 40 years ago. One of her assignments from this course was published in Jack and Jill magazine.
Claire graduated from Covenant College (Class of 1970), where she met her husband, David Larsen; their good marriage lasted 49 years until David’s death in 2019. While attending Covenant College, Claire developed a Christian viewpoint and a theological foundation based upon the truths of Scripture, both of which have shaped her writing and worldview. Over the years, she has had a busy teaching ministry, first with children and later with women, leading Bible studies and speaking at seminars.
After raising 3 sons, Claire returned to school in 1996, receiving an MA from Biblical Theological Seminary in Hatfield, Pennsylvania, in 2000. For the next 17 years she was self-employed as a biblical counselor while also writing the God’s Great Covenant series for Classical Academic Press. In 2017, she retired and moved to sunny Florida, where she is busy still writing books, spending time with her 3 grandchildren, and enjoying the warm weather. She is happy to have the opportunity to work with her son, Aaron Larsen, as they co-write The Curious Historian series.
Grade Level: Grades 3-6
Course Length: Yearlong
- God's Great Covenant Old Testament 1 (Student Edition)
- God's Great Covenant Old Testament 1 Teacher's Edition
- God's Great Covenant Old Testament 1 Audio Files
- God's Great Covenant Old Testament Timeline and Map Set