Latin Alive! Book 2 Program
$139.95 – $159.95
Latin Alive! Book 2 continues the relevant, rigorous, and incremental Latin instruction begun in Latin Alive! Book 1. The Latin Alive! series features original Latin writings, giving students access to the works of great Latin authors. As the second text in a three-year series, Latin Alive! Book 2 is an entry point to advanced grammatical studies.
Full program includes:
- Latin Alive! Book 2 (consumable student edition) This book contains 33 weekly chapters, including 6 review chapters. Latin Alive! Book 2 reviews the grammar of Latin Alive! Book 1 and introduces the passive voice in all tenses; past, present, and future participles; deponent and irregular verbs; and comparative and superlative adjectives and adverbs. Each chapter begins with a country’s Latin motto, strategically chosen to introduce or review a grammatical concept. Extensive study of Latin derivatives and stories of Roman culture, myths, and history make Latin come alive, even in our modern world. Substantial Latin readings and translation exercises adapted from Latin literature continues to prepare students for the National Latin Exam or an Advanced Placement Latin class. This student edition includes historical and literary contributions by historian Christopher Schlect and classical scholars Karl Galinsky and Timothy Moore.
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Teacher’s Edition This edition includes the full content of the Latin Alive! Book 2 Student Edition, plus extensive explanations, an answer key, and translations, as well as teacher’s tips, additional student exercises, and unit tests.
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Streaming Video & Audio (or 9-DVD & 1-CD Set) Author and teacher Karen Moore continues her excellent Latin instruction in the Latin Alive! Book 2 Video, which contains 27 lessons, each an average of 40 minutes. This brings the total length of video to nearly 18 hours of instruction, all taught by an enthusiastic and delightful teacher! The audio recording features the unit review Latin readings by Nicholas Martin and Gaylan DuBose. The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. Streaming access lasts for the life of the product.
See our Support tab above for schedule recommendations and product resources.
- Footprints in the Butter
- Accidentally Homeschooling . . . and Beyond
- Artful Homemaking
- Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
“I just got my Latin Alive 1 bundle and watched some of the DVD . . . SO EXCITED!! Thank you for allowing me to give my daughter a classical education at home.” —Micki, homeschool mom
“My son and I are eager to work through the Latin Alive! book. We have already jumped ahead to peek at the readings. He absolutely LOVES the immersion of Roman culture throughout the book. Thanks for a great product.” —Melanie, homeschool mom
“In Latin Alive!, I believe Karen Moore and her distinguished coauthor, Gaylan DuBose, have succeeded in the lofty goal of producing a truly outstanding beginning textbook to meet the needs of this new generation of Latin teachers and students. The text is engaging, with translation passages that present Roman history in a logical and sequential order. The explanation of grammar is straightforward and easily understandable. The illustrations enhance the text and are not mere distractions. Roman culture is presented in context and reinforced in the stories. Teachers with a limited Latin background will rejoice in the generous teacher’s edition, which not only gives the right answers, but delves into deeper explanations and suggests routes of further research and investigation.” —Erin Davis-Valdez, MA, upper-school Latin and Greek and Classics Department Chair, Hill Country Christian School of Austin
“After using a college-level textbook for 5 years to teach my middle school homeschool classes, I am thrilled to have Latin Alive! Books 1 and 2 available. No longer will I HAVE to pull in extra resource material in order to give my students an appreciation of Roman life and history. It’s all right there! Latin Alive! is thorough, challenging, and pedagogically sound. Since I am a self-taught Latin teacher, it has even taught me a few grammar concepts that I had missed before! Omnia gloriae Dei!” —Linda, homeschool mom
“I love Latin for Children and Latin Alive! I teach Latin in our co-op (middle and high school), and this is honestly the first curriculum I haven’t had to rewrite (or at least seriously tweak) in order to teach it. It’s all there, well written and fun to use. The kids love it, I love it, and I’ve seen the kids grow in understanding and application of the language. Thanks CAP!” —Jennifer, high school Latin teacher
“Latin for Children and Latin Alive! are challenging and thorough enough for the students, yet simple enough for a homeschool mom without a Latin background to implement. I’m seriously thinking about going back to school for a second degree (in classics) when my homeschooling days are over.” —Loretta, homeschool mom
“After using another program for my 3 oldest, we found Latin for Children. Being a mother of a large family (teaching 9 right now), I needed something that would walk me through it and become independent learning for the kids. After doing all three, we made the transition to Latin Alive, and I am rarely needed to help. The translation is great.” —Patty, homeschool mom
“We started reading The Aeneid yesterday (in English translation) as part of our Great Books studies. Just for fun, I printed out the first 12 lines in Latin, and we (sons and I) were pleasantly surprised to find that after two years of Latin for Children and one and a half years of Latin Alive (we’re in the middle of LA2), we could actually sight-read bits and pieces. Thank you, CAP.” —Loretta, homeschool mom
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
Latin Alive! compared with Wheelock’s Latin Document (PDF)
Latin Alive! vs. Wheelock’s Latin Table (PDF)
Roman Timeline Outline (PDF)
Latin Alive! blog Author Karen Moore blogs about bringing this classical language to life.
Latin Charts! Colorful and interactive Latin charts display the five noun declensions and the verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters. Choose between colorful ready-to-go charts or cuttable interactive charts. The interactive charts are easy to color and, once cut, provide an excellent hands-on approach as students can assemble and reassemble the charts. Download the charts here: Colorful Ready-To-Go Charts – Interactive Cuttable Charts
Karen Moore is the lead author for the Latin Alive! series. She began her study of Latin in 7th grade and added Greek to her linguistic studies during her college years. Karen earned a BA in classics from the University of Texas and has her Texas teacher certification for Latin, history, and history secondary education. She has taught Latin (alongside Greek and ancient humanities) to students in grades 3–12 for over 15 years. Currently, she serves as the academic dean and teaches advanced Latin at Grace Academy, a classical Christian school in Georgetown, Texas. Karen is the coauthor of the Libellus de Historia Readers for the Latin for Children series and has also published a Latin for Teachers DVD set based on her acclaimed Latin training camp for teachers.
Grade Level: Grades 8 and up
Course Length: Yearlong
Content Credit: 1 full high school credit
- Latin Alive! Book 2 (Student Edition)
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Teacher’s Edition
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Video & Audio (streaming or DVD & CD Set)