- About the Authors
A yearlong course for grades 8 and up
Latin Alive! Book 2 continues the relevant, rigorous, and incremental Latin instruction begun in Latin Alive! Book 1. The Latin Alive! series features original Latin writings, giving students access to the works of great Latin authors. As the second text in a three-year series, Latin Alive! Book 2 is an entry point to advanced grammatical studies.
Full program includes:
- Latin Alive! Book 2 (Student Edition) This book contains 33 weekly chapters, including 6 review chapters. Latin Alive! Book 2 reviews the grammar of Latin Alive! Book 1 and introduces the passive voice in all tenses; past, present, and future participles; deponent and irregular verbs; and comparative and superlative adjectives and adverbs. Each chapter begins with a country’s Latin motto, strategically chosen to introduce or review a grammatical concept. Extensive study of Latin derivatives and stories of Roman culture, myths, and history make Latin come alive, even in our modern world. Substantial Latin readings and translation exercises adapted from Latin literature continues to prepare students for the National Latin Exam or an Advanced Placement Latin class. This student edition includes historical and literary contributions by historian Christopher Schlect and classical scholars Karl Galinsky and Timothy Moore.
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Teacher’s Edition This edition includes the full content of the Latin Alive! Book 2 Student Edition, plus extensive explanations, an answer key, and translations, as well as teacher’s tips, additional student exercises, and unit tests.
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Streaming Video & Audio (or 9-DVD & 1-CD Set) Author and teacher Karen Moore continues her excellent Latin instruction in the Latin Alive! Book 2 Video, which contains 27 lessons, each an average of 40 minutes. This brings the total length of video to nearly 18 hours of instruction, all taught by an enthusiastic and delightful teacher! The audio recording features the unit review Latin readings by Nicholas Martin and Gaylan DuBose. The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. For Homeschoolers, streaming access lasts for the life of the product. Returning school customers continue receiving streaming access at no annual cost when student editions are purchased by October 31st.
See our Support tab above for schedule recommendations and product resources.
- Footprints in the Butter
- Accidentally Homeschooling . . . and Beyond
- Artful Homemaking
- Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
“Switching to Latin Alive! has made an amazing difference in my family’s life. We love it so much [and] it’s so well put together.” —Melissa P., homeschool mom
“I just got my Latin Alive 1 bundle and watched some of the DVD . . . SO EXCITED!! Thank you for allowing me to give my daughter a classical education at home.” —Micki, homeschool mom
“My son and I are eager to work through the Latin Alive! book. We have already jumped ahead to peek at the readings. He absolutely LOVES the immersion of Roman culture throughout the book. Thanks for a great product.” —Melanie, homeschool mom
"The input I received [from my students] was largely positive [over other texts] about Latin Alive! Book 3. We enjoy that the translations relate to Roman culture and history, so that those topics are easier to weave into the curriculum. The mottoes are a huge hit too. I have noticed that when translations are harder to decipher the author keeps them shorter, but the easier ones are longer. I appreciate that length is relative to difficulty to help us in time-planning." —Shannon, Legacy Preparatory Academy
“In Latin Alive!, I believe Karen Moore and her distinguished coauthor, Gaylan DuBose, have succeeded in the lofty goal of producing a truly outstanding beginning textbook to meet the needs of this new generation of Latin teachers and students. The text is engaging, with translation passages that present Roman history in a logical and sequential order. The explanation of grammar is straightforward and easily understandable. The illustrations enhance the text and are not mere distractions. Roman culture is presented in context and reinforced in the stories. Teachers with a limited Latin background will rejoice in the generous teacher’s edition, which not only gives the right answers, but delves into deeper explanations and suggests routes of further research and investigation.” —Erin Davis-Valdez, MA, upper-school Latin and Greek and Classics Department Chair, Hill Country Christian School of Austin
“After using a college-level textbook for 5 years to teach my middle school homeschool classes, I am thrilled to have Latin Alive! Books 1 and 2 available. No longer will I HAVE to pull in extra resource material in order to give my students an appreciation of Roman life and history. It’s all right there! Latin Alive! is thorough, challenging, and pedagogically sound. Since I am a self-taught Latin teacher, it has even taught me a few grammar concepts that I had missed before! Omnia gloriae Dei!” —Linda, homeschool mom
“I love Latin for Children and Latin Alive! I teach Latin in our co-op (middle and high school), and this is honestly the first curriculum I haven’t had to rewrite (or at least seriously tweak) in order to teach it. It’s all there, well written and fun to use. The kids love it, I love it, and I’ve seen the kids grow in understanding and application of the language. Thanks CAP!” —Jennifer, high school Latin teacher
“Latin for Children and Latin Alive! are challenging and thorough enough for the students, yet simple enough for a homeschool mom without a Latin background to implement. I’m seriously thinking about going back to school for a second degree (in classics) when my homeschooling days are over.” —Loretta, homeschool mom
“After using another program for my 3 oldest, we found Latin for Children. Being a mother of a large family (teaching 9 right now), I needed something that would walk me through it and become independent learning for the kids. After doing all three, we made the transition to Latin Alive, and I am rarely needed to help. The translation is great.” —Patty, homeschool mom
“We started reading The Aeneid yesterday (in English translation) as part of our Great Books studies. Just for fun, I printed out the first 12 lines in Latin, and we (sons and I) were pleasantly surprised to find that after two years of Latin for Children and one and a half years of Latin Alive (we’re in the middle of LA2), we could actually sight-read bits and pieces. Thank you, CAP.” —Loretta, homeschool mom
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
Latin Alive! compared with Wheelock's Latin Document (PDF)
Latin Alive! vs. Wheelock's Latin Table (PDF)
Roman Timeline Outline (PDF)
Latin Alive! blog Author Karen Moore blogs about bringing this classical language to life.
Latin Charts! Colorful and interactive Latin charts display the five noun declensions and the verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters. Choose between colorful ready-to-go charts or cuttable interactive charts. The interactive charts are easy to color and, once cut, provide an excellent hands-on approach as students can assemble and reassemble the charts. Download the charts here: Colorful Ready-To-Go Charts - Interactive Cuttable Charts
Gaylan DuBose, MA
Gaylan DuBose graduated with high honors from the University of North Texas in 1964 with a major in English and minors in Latin and history. He earned a master of arts in classics in 1970 from the University of Minnesota, where he had received a fellowship. He also studied at the University of Texas and at Worcester College, Oxford University. Gaylan went on to teach Latin in the classroom for 47 years. During his lengthy career, he was chosen as Teacher of the Year twice at Travis High School and once at Westwood High School. He also served as the academic contest chair for the National Junior Classical League from 1996 to 2005. After retiring in 2010, Gaylan continued to tutor students in Latin and Greek and elementary students in reading and mathematics. He taught many of the Latin Alive! online courses for Scholé Academy and served on the National Latin Exam’s Committee for Scholarship. In 2016, the American Classical League honored Gaylan with the prestigious Meritus Award. In his free time, Gaylan enjoyed volunteering at his local branch of the Austin Public Library and serving as the choir director, organist, and minister of music for his church. He was also the author of Farrago Latina: A Teacher Resource and coauthor of Excelability in Advanced Latin and the Latin Alive! series.
Karen Moore began her study of Latin in 7th grade and added Greek to her linguistic studies during her college years. She holds a BA in classics from the University of Texas. She earned her Texas teacher certification for Latin, history, and secondary education, and has also been awarded master teacher certification from the Association of Classical Christian Schools (ACCS). Karen has more than 20 years of experience teaching Latin along with Greek and ancient humanities. She is the author of multiple Latin textbooks, including the Latin for Children History Readers A–C and the Latin for Teachers course, and coauthor of the Latin Alive! series, all published by Classical Academic Press. Karen has worked at Grace Academy in Georgetown, Texas, since 2002, where she has served a variety of roles, including upper-school lead teacher, head of the Latin department, and director of curriculum and instruction. As a teacher, she has a unique ability to instill an enthusiasm for classical literature and languages in students of all ages and skill levels. Additionally, she has served numerous other schools through her consulting, teacher-training seminars, and speaking engagements at educational conferences.
Grade Level: Grades 8 and up
Course Length: Yearlong
Content Credit: 1 full high school credit
- Latin Alive! Book 2 (Student Edition)
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Teacher's Edition
- Latin Alive! Book 2 Video & Audio (streaming or DVD & CD Set)