- About the Author
Note: The DVD & CD set for this program is temporarily out of stock. Please consider. purchasing the streaming video & audio content for this product instead! Streaming is. available immediately and. at a lower cost. The DVD & CD set will be available again for purchase once they have come back into stock.
A yearlong course for grades 1-3
Now there is a Spanish program suited to the energy, developmental level, and fun-loving nature of your early-elementary (1st-3rd grade) students! Song School Spanish Book 1 is patterned after our best-selling Song School Latin curriculum and features weekly lessons peppered with songs/chants, enjoyable vocabulary, illustrations, handwriting practice, stories, games, and activities. A small amount of grammar is introduced mildly throughout the book, with the focus on relevant, everyday vocabulary to engage young students. Students who learn from Song School Spanish Book 1 will love learning Spanish and will be more than prepared to continue their studies with the Spanish for Children series.
Full program includes:
- Song School Spanish Book 1 (consumable student edition) This book contains 30 weekly chapters, including review chapters, and a lively musical CD with 42 songs/chants featuring the vocabulary from each chapter—a delightful part of the program that reinforces the Spanish taught in the book. The chapters are in a captivating and creative workbook format with illustrations, handwriting practice, stories, games, and activities. Your students will learn over 100 enjoyable, everyday vocabulary words and receive a very gentle introduction to Spanish grammar.
- Song School Spanish Book 1 Teacher’s Edition This edition contains the full content of the Song School Spanish Book 1 student text, and also provides an answer key, additional teacher’s notes, and fun ideas for interactive classroom activities. The latter portion of the book consists of extra activity pages and worksheets for each chapter, including the review chapters.
- Song School Spanish Book 1 Streaming Video (or 2-DVD Set) The 24 episodes feature a lively, native Spanish maestra who teaches students with engaging vocabulary, skits, and grammar lessons. Students will also enjoy following Ellen in the Little Moments stories. (Note: There are no episodes for the review chapters.) The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. Streaming access lasts for the life of the product.
- Spanish Amigo Match 1 Flashcard Game This reinforcing game features all the vocabulary from Song School Spanish Book 1. In groups or individually, students can play Memory or Go Fish by collecting Spanish and English matches. The deck can also be used as flash cards for extra practice. Each card lists the corresponding chapter number from Song School Spanish Book 1.
Q: Can I purchase a second student edition without the CD for my other students/children?
A: Unfortunately, no. Because we print such large quantities of the student edition with the CD included, we would actually have to charge more for a version without a CD if we did a small print run.
- A Stable Beginning
- Lextin Eclectic
- The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Review Crew
- Jennifer Lambert
- Teach Beside Me
- Ordinary Happily
- Family, Faith & Fridays
- A Learning Journey
- Mason Moments
- My Joy-Filled Life
"My 2nd grader really enjoyed the activities, the worksheets, the songs . . . pretty much everything about this program! There was so much to like about this program. So much is done right!" —Jenni, homeschool mom and blogger
"I really like the Teacher's Edition. It is very easy to use. It has the student book replicated with all of the answers filled in, but also includes directions on how to teach or help your child learn certain words and concepts, and also has extra games and things that you can do with your child to help him learn and remember what is being taught." —Tim, homeschool dad and blogger
"I have a great curriculum to share with you. The girls have been having the best time learning Spanish with Song School Spanish from Classical Academic Press. I think you'll like it too! We love this curriculum, and I was so very happy to discover that the program continues into the older grades, so we can continue with the same company. My girls are having fun with the lessons, and the material is challenging without being too heavy. . . . Satisfied customers right here. :)" —Laurie's School Days
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
Song School Spanish Book 1 CD Track Info (PDF) This file contains all the track names and song lengths
Song School Spanish Book 1 Coloring Pages (PDF) Color a picture for each Spanish word in Song School Spanish Book 1. Also a great activity for younger siblings!
Song School Spanish Book 1 Pronunciation Audio (Zipped MP3)
Song School Spanish Book 1 Bonus Songs Extra bonus tracks to provide even more fun with your Spanish vocabulary
*The University of Iowa's phonetics website (referenced on page 8) has changed and can now be found here.
A lifelong lover of studying language and culture, Julia holds a master’s degree in Spanish language and culture from the Universidad de Salamanca Cursos Internacionales (in Spain), and another in Études du monde anglophone (Anglophone cultural studies) from Aix-Marseille University in France. She also has BAs in international studies, theatre arts, and medieval studies from Pennsylvania State University, where she was a Schreyer Honors Scholar.
After teaching Spanish in a K–8 setting, Julia married a Francophile and moved to France, where she taught English in elementary and middle schools and at the university level, all while continuing to study Spanish and Catalan, a romance language spoken in Andorra and parts of Spain. Out of all the classes she has taken, her favorite involved studying how Spanish evolved from Latin during the Middle Ages. As a researcher, she is particularly interested in how creativity and play affect learning, and in how our understanding of the past is meaningful to us in the present.
Julia is also the author of the Spanish for Children series and the Song School Spanish series. Her children enjoy asking her to sing the “Sit on Your Silla Song” from Song School Spanish Book 1 to all their friends.
Grade Level: Grades 1-3
Course Length: Yearlong
- Song School Spanish Book 1 (Student Edition)
- Song School Spanish Book 1 Teacher's Edition
- Song School Spanish Book 1 Video (streaming or DVD Set)
- Spanish Amigo Match 1 Flashcard Game
Digital content for this product available on My Library!