- About the Author
A yearlong course for grades 4 and up
There is a distinction between just learning common words and phrases—the approach of many Spanish programs—and knowing the language well enough to communicate correctly, fluently, and accurately. The Spanish for Children Primer B Program is the second in the series and emphasizes grammar and the parts of speech as vital tools for correctly speaking and understanding Spanish. This program also includes expanded dialogues, stories, songs, and chants.
Full program includes:
- Spanish for Children Primer B (consumable student edition) This book contains 32 weekly chapters, including 6 review chapters and an end-of-book review. Students will learn 290 commonly used Spanish vocabulary words in addition to weekly review of vocabulary from Spanish for Children Primer A. All teaching and explanations in this student edition are written at the student's reading level and emphasize a continued mastery of grammatical concepts. Dialogues, stories, and a puzzle about searching for a Mayan treasure keep the workbook format of this book lively and entertaining.
- Spanish for Children Primer B Answer Key This teacher’s tool contains copies of the actual worksheets and quizzes from Spanish for Children Primer B, with answers filled in with a large, bold font.
- Spanish for Children Primer B Streaming Video (or 4-DVD & 2-CD Set) In the Spanish for Children Primer B video, the delightful instruction by author Julia Kraut continues. Students will hear pronunciation, learn chants, and enjoy Julia’s clear teaching and explanation of Spanish grammar. The streaming option provides the convenience of instant access, as well as desktop, smart TV, and mobile viewing capabilities. For Homeschoolers, streaming access lasts for the life of the product. Returning school customers continue receiving streaming access at no annual cost when student editions are purchased by October 31st.
"We LOVE Spanish for Children! Classical Academic Press has provided us with quality curriculum! I have been looking for an elementary-level Spanish that does not dumb down the language and assume the kids can only learn colors and numbers. As a Spanish teacher, the number one problem I have found is that high school students do not know first, second, and third person. Spanish for Children introduces this in the very first lesson along with verb conjugation. Thank you for realizing just what children are capable of learning! This is perfect!” —Cynthia, homeschool mom
“What a super resource—muchas gracias, qué bueno!” —Christina, homeschool mom
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
Spanish for Children Primer B Audio Pronunciation Files (zipped MP3s)
Spanish for Children Primer B Flash Cards (PDF) These flashcards are keyed to the vocabulary in Spanish for Children Primer B. Decks are split into two different decks (Spanish and English) so that you can print them separately or on the backs of each other (single sided or double sided). Spanish FlashCards – English Flash Cards
A lifelong lover of studying language and culture, Julia holds a master’s degree in Spanish language and culture from the Universidad de Salamanca Cursos Internacionales (in Spain), and another in Études du monde anglophone (Anglophone cultural studies) from Aix-Marseille University in France. She also has BAs in international studies, theatre arts, and medieval studies from Pennsylvania State University, where she was a Schreyer Honors Scholar.
After teaching Spanish in a K–8 setting, Julia married a Francophile and moved to France, where she taught English in elementary and middle schools and at the university level, all while continuing to study Spanish and Catalan, a romance language spoken in Andorra and parts of Spain. Out of all the classes she has taken, her favorite involved studying how Spanish evolved from Latin during the Middle Ages. As a researcher, she is particularly interested in how creativity and play affect learning, and in how our understanding of the past is meaningful to us in the present.
Julia is also the author of the Song School Spanish series. Her children enjoy asking her to sing the “Sit on Your Silla Song” from Song School Spanish to all their friends.
Grade Level: Grades 4 and up
Course Length: Yearlong
- Spanish for Children Primer B (Student Edition)
- Spanish for Children Primer B Answer Key
- Spanish for Children Primer B Video (streaming or DVD/CD Set)