REVISED TEXTS 2017!
The Latin Alive! series is a relevant, rigorous, yet engaging introduction to Latin for middle and high school students. This Latin curriculum will truly make the Latin language come alive both for students who have studied Latin (such as students who have completed the Latin for Children curriculum) and for those who have not previously been introduced to Latin.
Written by experienced and enthusiastic Latin teachers, the Latin Alive! series provides complete Latin training that enables students to read and translate original Latin. The Latin Alive! series features a unique blend of grammatical training and engaging reading of original Latin texts that will help maintain student interest and impart skill, capacity, and mastery. Where other curricula downplay training in grammar, the authors of this series have found a way to teach grammar so that students understand and enjoy it. The authors present Latin grammar in small, digestible sections that are clearly illustrated and explained. As students find success decoding and reading Latin, their pleasure will increase.
The Latin Alive! series also creates student enjoyment by illustrating the relevance of Latin in history, ancient and contemporary culture, the Romance languages, English derivatives, and the grammatical structure of English. Students will see in multiple ways the benefits of Latin study. By providing training in Roman culture, myths, and history (as well as robust Latin instruction), the series also prepares students well for the National Latin Exam and the Latin Advanced Placement Exam.
Full program includes:
- Latin Alive! Book 1 (student edition and workbook) Each workbook contains 36 weekly chapters, including 7 review chapters. Clear grammatical explanations explain all five noun declensions and cases, all verb conjugations, irregular verbs, and various pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs. Each chapter begins with the Latin motto of a United States state seal and includes extensive study of Latin derivatives. The student edition also includes contributions by Christopher Schlect, historian and academic dean at New Saint Andrews College.
- Latin Alive! Book 1 Teacher’s Edition This text includes the full content of the student edition, plus extensive explanations, an answer key, and translations, as well as additional student exercises and unit tests.
- Latin Alive! Book 1 DVD & CD Set Author Karen Moore brings nearly fifteen years of Latin teaching experience in the classroom to the Latin Alive! Book 1 DVD & CD Set, which features her careful and engaging teaching. Each weekly lesson is 30 minutes long, totaling more than 15 hours of training. This set is highly recommended for all educational settings. It can be used as helpful training for Latin teachers, a substitute when the regular teacher is away, an effective aid for new students, or for students needing extra review. The set also features an audio CD of the unit review Latin readings so that students can practice proper pronunciation and accent.
Using this fun and engaging website, middle and high school students will be able to test their knowledge of Roman culture and history, as well as their Latin Alive! Book 1 language skills. They will be able to strengthen their Latin knowledge in entertaining ways through speedy quizzing games such as FlashDash and test their vocabulary skills as they read through creative stories.
“ I love Latin for Children & Latin Alive! I teach Latin in our co op (Middle and High School), and this is honestly the first curriculum I haven’t had to rewrite (or at least seriously tweak) in order to teach it. It’s all there, well written and fun to use. The kids love it, I love it, and I’ve seen the kids grow in understanding and application of the language. Thanks CAP! ” Jennifer D., Blogger
“ Latin for Children and Latin Alive! are challenging and thorough enough for the students, yet simple enough for a homeschool mom without a Latin background to implement. I’m seriously thinking about going back to school for a second degree (in classics) when my homeschooling days are over. ” Loretta S., homeschool parent
For placement recommendations and other questions, please see our FAQ page.
Latin Alive! compared with Wheelock’s Latin Document (PDF)
Latin Alive! vs. Wheelock’s Latin Table (PDF)
Roman Timeline Outline (PDF)
Why Study Latin? (PDF) Author Karen Moore explains five reasons why it’s useful to add Latin to your child’s education.
Latin Alive! blog Author Karen Moore blogs about bringing this classical language to life.
Latin Charts! Colorful and interactive Latin charts display the five noun declensions and the verb endings for present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses. Each chart also lists the related Latin for Children and Latin Alive! chapters. Choose between colorful ready-to-go charts or cuttable interactive charts. The interactive charts are easy to color and, once cut, provide an excellent hands-on approach as students assemble and reassemble the charts. Download the charts here: Colorful Ready-To-Go Charts – Interactive Cuttable Charts
Latin Alive! Book 1 Pronunciation Audio (MP3) These zipped MP3 files provide chapter-by-chapter pronunciation for each chapter. Please note: the zipped file is 65MB and may take several minutes to download. MP3 files can be used with most popular music players, such as iTunes. For help installing the files on iTunes, see this page.
Gaylan graduated with high honors from The University of North Texas in 1964, and is the co-author of the Latin Alive! series, published by Classical Academic Press. His major was English and his minors were Latin and history. He received a Master of Arts in Classics from the University of Minnesota, to which he had received a fellowship in 1970. He retired from teaching in May 2010 after 47 years in the classroom. During his career, he was chosen as teacher of the year twice at Travis High School and once at Westwood High School. Most recently, the American Classical League has honored Gaylan with the prestigious 2016 Meritus Award.
Since retiring he has continued to tutor individual students in Latin and Greek, and he works also with elementary school students, tutoring them in reading and mathematics. Gaylan has served on the National Latin Exam’s Committee for Scholarship. He also volunteers at the Austin Public Library and is the choir director, organist, and minister of music for his church. Gaylan teaches many of the Latin Alive! courses live-online for Scholé Academy.
Karen Moore is the lead author for the Latin Alive! series. She began her study of Latin in seventh grade, and added Greek to her linguistic studies during her college years. Karen earned a B.A. in classics from the University of Texas and has her Texas Teacher Certification for Latin, History, and History Secondary Education. She has taught Latin to students in grades three through twelve (alongside Greek and Ancient Humanities) for over fifteen years. Currently, she serves as the Academic Dean and teaches advanced Latin at Grace Academy, a classical Christian school in Georgetown, Texas. Karen is the co-author of the Libellus de Historia History Readers for the Latin for Children series and has also published a Latin for Teachers DVD set based on her acclaimed Latin training camp for teachers.
Grade Level: Grades 7-8 and up
Course Length: Yearlong
Content Credit: 1 full high school credit
- Latin Alive! Book 1 (Student Edition)
- Latin Alive! Book 1 Teacher’s Edition
- Latin Alive DVD & CD Set (7 DVDs / 1 CD)